Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another great recipe from Michael Chiarello. Quick, easy and oh-so-good!
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 cups water, plus
- 2 quarts water, divided
- 1 1⁄2 ounces loose black tea leaves (or 3/4 cup)
- 2 ounces your favorite whiskey (recommended ( Maker's Mark) or 2 ounces Bourbon, per serving (recommended, Maker's Mark)
- ice cube
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1⁄2 bunch of fresh mint
- Combine sugar and 3 cups water in a non-reactive saucepan.
- Slowly heat until sugar melts.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Infuse the black tea in 1 quart of just boiled water for 2 minutes.
- Strain tea into a pitcher and then add 1 quart of room temperature water.
- Combine the tea and the cooled simple syrup, mixing well.
- Refrigerate until cool.
- To serve, fill a 12-ounce glass with ice cubes, a pinch of zest, and a sprig of mint.
- Add 2 ounces whiskey or bourbon and fill to the top with the sweetened tea.
- Stir and serve.
- Repeat as needed.