1/4 Photos of Spiked Smoked Salsa--
1 hr 40 mins
Pureeing the veggies in the food processor makes for faster chopping time, no peeling of tomatoes and a finer chunk salsa. Always start with high quality organic ingredients. Plum tomatoes are a better choice because they are meatier and less juice producing a thicker salsa. Don't use over ripe tomatoes. The tequila can be omitted with wonderful results. But when used gives a slight smokiness. The smoky, woody flavor is more evident in Añejo tequila. Try Paradiso has a smoky, smooth flavor.
My Private Note
8 ounce ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 quarts tomatoes (1/2 `d squeezed of seeds and rough chopped, when pureed equaling 2 quarts 8 cups)
- 2 red bell peppers (2 cups red bell peppers pureed)
- 2 vidalia onions, peeled and quartered (2 cups pureed)
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime (zest and meat no bitter rind)
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups bottled lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup tequila, Anejo
- 1Pulse tomatoes in the food processor to fine pieces, place in a heavy large pot, heating over a high flame bringing to a boil.
- 2Meanwhile pulse in the food processor the onions and then peppers, placing both in pot. With food processor running add garlic, lime zest and meat, chili’s, and herbs. If you need add a touch of lemon juices to get a fine mince.
- 3Add remaining ingredients except for tequila and continue boiling for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tequila and cook 5 minutes.
- 4Ladle hot salsa into hot pint jars, leaving ½-inch head space. Wipe jar rims. Cap with properly pretreated lids. .
- 5Process in a boiling water canner: 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet, 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.
- 6Cool jars in draft free spot.
- 7Check lids for sealing. label and store.
- 8Party Time!
- 9Serve with corn chips and icy cold margaritas!
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiked Smoked Salsa--
Serving Size: 1 (32 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 128
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 16.1
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 98.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo