Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Cooking Light magazine, November 2005
- cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider
- 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 9 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, ginger, cumin, and garlic cloves; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in cider, bourbon, syrup, pumpkin, and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Place half of pumpkin mixture in a blender; process until smooth.
- Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl.
- Repeat process with remaining pumpkin mixture.
- Return pureed mixture to pan.
- Stir in milk, flour, salt, and pepper; cook until thoroughly heated (do not boil), stirring frequently.
- Serve with sour cream. Garnish with parsley, if desired.