Recipe by Ambervim
Found this in December 2013 Redbook. It is a nice variation on the sugar cookie - grown up style. I suspect I will use more rum than the recipe shows.
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- 354.88 ml sugar (more for rolling)
- 14.79 ml canola oil (use what you have)
- 1 large egg
- 29.58 ml milk
- 14.79 ml rum, dark (can use rum flavoring...I will use more rum)
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml flour, all purpose
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 59.14 ml decorator sugar (you know, that course stuff)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Line baking sheets with silpat (parchment will do.
- Stir butter, sugar, oil and salt until combined.
- Stir in egg, milk, rum and vanilla until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg until just combined.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Make 3 tbs dough balls, roll in sugar and place on pans with at least 2 inches between them.
- Flatten each to about 1 inch thick.
- Sprinkle with decorating sugar.
- Bake one pan at a time, until cookie centers have risen and are beginning to crack. This will be about 11 - 13 minutes.
- Remove from oven and tap on the counter so the cookies deflate.
- Let them cool on the pan for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack.
- Chill time NOT included.
- I suspect smaller cookies could be made. I will be experimenting and update this when I know for sure.