Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can baked beans
- 2 ounces Irish whiskey
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 slices white bread, toasted
- Heat a skillet over med-high heat; add the bacon and cook until crisp, 5 minutes.
- Add in the onions; decrease heat to medium; cook the onions with the bacon until they are soft, 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the baked beans; heat the beans through, then decrease heat to low.
- Remove pan from heat; add in the whiskey and stir it in; then return pan to the heat.
- If the whiskey flames, the flame will die out in less than 10 seconds—just be prepared.
- For a full whiskey-spiked flavor, the trick is to avoid the flame and just warm the alcohol; think hot toddy.
- Season the spiked beans with black pepper.
- Combine the softened butter with the honey; spread the mixture evenly over the toast; serve the beans with honey-buttered toast.