Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a thin yoghurt sauce flavored with garlic, chili, and spices. Wonderful on rice. This recipe is from the cookbook, Fire and Spice, by Joyce Westrip.
- 2 tablespoons ghee (it's well worth it to make your own ghee and easy too)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, finely chopped
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 10 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chickpea flour, mixed into a paste with a little water
- 5 cups yoghurt
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Heat ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and cloves.
- Fry for a few seconds until they begin to pop and release their aromas.
- Add the garlic, onion, ginger, chili, and curry leaves and stir-fry until the onion starts to change color.
- Mix in the turmeric powder, sugar, salt, and chick-pea flour paste.
- Cook 1 minute and remove pan from heat.
- Beat yoghurt well and gradually mix into the cooked ingredients, along with the coriander leaves.
- Return pan to heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer gently for about 3 minutes.