Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com. It was submitted by: Liz. She states: "This spicy cheese and ground beef casserole can be used as a side dish or a main course! Any type of squash or ground meat may be used. For winter squash, you may want to pre-cook in the microwave before frying in butter to speed the process."
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup round buttery cracker, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute squash in butter until tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, and jalapeno, stirring until beef is evenly browned. Drain off grease.
- In a large bowl, mix together the squash, eggs, and mayonnaise.
- Stir in the ground beef mixture and Cheddar cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish, and sprinkle cracker crumbs evenly over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until heated through, and the top is nicely browned.