Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Taken from Cooking Today and changed dramatically, I like this dish! I've upped the spices!
Make and share this Spicy Yellow Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper (you may also add red)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 3⁄4 cups water (you may use broth)
- 1 bouillon cube (I use veg.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (I use chipotle)
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat a medium skillet, add butter and melt.
- Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic. Saute about 5-8 minutes, or till tender.
- Add the rice, stirring gently.
- Now, add the water or broth, and the rest of the spices.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes, allowing the rice to become tender and the liquid to absorb. Enjoy!
- Serves 6.
Delicious! I doubled it and used thyme because I was out of oregano. I also only used 1/2 tsp of tumeric for the whole doubled amount. Thanks!!
I sauteed the onions, peppers, garlic and spices then put it all in my rice cooker. A nice change from plain white rice.
Delicious flavor! I actually had no turmeric, so I substituted 6 drops of yellow food coloring. I halved the butter and substituted 1/8 t ground chipotle pepper for the hot sauce; it turned out nice & spicy. Thanks for posting!