Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Taken from Cooking Today and changed dramatically, I like this dish! I've upped the spices!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper (you may also add red)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 3⁄4 cups water (you may use broth)
- 1 bouillon cube (I use veg.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (I use chipotle)
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat a medium skillet, add butter and melt.
- Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic. Saute about 5-8 minutes, or till tender.
- Add the rice, stirring gently.
- Now, add the water or broth, and the rest of the spices.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes, allowing the rice to become tender and the liquid to absorb. Enjoy!
- Serves 6.
This rice was WONDERFUL! No more packaged yellow rice mixes for us. I took it to a meal at our congregation and it was devoured in no time. The flavor is excellent, also you get all the health benefits of the turmeric and no MSG(as with the rice mixes)! Love it, love it, love it!!! Thanks for posting, Sharon123. UPDATE: I've made this wonderful rice again. I did not have green peppers this time, but I did have a can of diced green chilis on hand. Just as wonderful (and no waste!)
Great rice dish! I actually used this rice inside a burrito made with ground turkey. Yummy! I will use this recipe again, next time either as a side or on its own. Thanks!
Delicious! I doubled it and used thyme because I was out of oregano. I also only used 1/2 tsp of tumeric for the whole doubled amount. Thanks!!