Recipe by COOKGIRl
Potato salad but with yams! A slightly altered recipe from Southern Living Magazine July 2005. The original recipe used sweet potatoes, but I much prefer yams. The choice is up to you. Can be served warm or chilled. Try Beauregard yams! MMmm!!
- 2 lbs yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 celery ribs, with leaves minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (substiitute a milder chili if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onions or 1⁄2 cup yellow onion
- 1⁄3 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄3 teaspoon chili powder (original recipe specified Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon prepared dry mustard
- 3 slices pepper bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled or 3 slices tempeh bacon
- fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange the cut up yams (or sweet potatoes if using) on a baking pan in single layer. Drizzle with a little bit of oil or cooking oil spray. Sprinkle with half of the salt and bake for about 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the yams are baking, stir together in a large serving bowl the remaining salt, celery, 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, 3/4 of the crumbled bacon and all other ingredients.
- Next, add the cooked yams into the salad bowl and toss together gently to coat.
- Sprinkle the remaining bacon crumbles on top of salad and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately or chill.
- Adjust seasonings before serving.