Recipe by Katzen
A flavourful and colourful stew, thanks to the host of vegetables and seasonings. Cook the greens separately to avoid any bitter taste. Because sweet potatoes break down easily, it's important not to cook the stew too long. For a mild, yet still flavourful stew, omit the hot chile. Serve it accompanied with crusty warm bread! From Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker.
Top Review by jmerwamer
this is a delightfully simple seeming and yet complexly flavored soup. the spices are really suiting (i was skeptical about all of that allspice!). i used a couple of medium sized red potatos instead of a sweet potato - that came somewhat out of being skeptical and somewhat out of what was on hand - but after having the completed soup, i think you could do it either way! it wouldn't be too sweet. the heat of the jalapeno has a deceptive build, so it's a nice warming soup for winter or opening up the sinuses!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 hot chili pepper, fresh, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cannellini beans (canned and rinsed, or cooked) or 3 cups white kidney beans (canned and rinsed, or cooked)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups collard greens or 2 cups kale or 2 cups greens, chopped, simmered until tender and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, garlic, and garlic. Cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Add the potatoes, chile, ginger, tomatoes, beans, brown sugar, allspice, cumin, bay leaves, and stock; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours.
- Close to serving time, stir in the cooked greens. Adjust seasonings, remove bay leaves, and serve.