Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The inspiration for this concoction came from a wonderful little soup and sandwich shop here in town. I actually measured and wrote down as I went along, I think I've got it perfect for our tastes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheatberries, cooked until chewy not mushy
- 8 green onions, chopped fine green and white parts
- 1 celery stock (I used the heart with leaves)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper (large)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts
- During the last 2 or 3 minutes of cooking, add raisins.
- Make sure all water is drained.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir and refrigerate to marry flavors.
- Bring to room temp before serving.
A really nice salad using things I tend to have around. I will need to play with the dressing a bit, and I would use more veggies, but this is definitely something that I will look forward to again,
Katie, this recipe is delish! This was my first time trying wheatberries & I found them easily in the bulk section of my grocery store. I didn't realize I was out of raisins, so I subbed dried cranberries instead. Everything else was per the recipe. I kinda thought that my family wouldn't really be crazy about it, as they aren't as big a fan of grains as I am, but that's the beauty of trying new ingredients & having a family willing to go along with it. :) Everyone really enjoyed this recipe & DH was the biggest surprise, as he is usually against anything with oil & vinegar type dressings & he couldn't stop raving about this recipe! Thanks for sharing your creation with us! :D