1/2 Photos of Spicy West Indies Fish
You can use any good-quality white fish in this dish, but trout and flounder are great choices. You can also do most of the preparation ahead of time, by taking the marinated fish outside (use an ice chest for the fish if you are going somewhere like a park) and grill it. Fish cooks quickly on the grill so you should have a spicy meal in minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs filleted red snapper
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- virgin olive oil or cooking spray
- 1Soak the fish in lime juice for 30 minutes in a glass pan or non-corrosive dish.
- 2Remove the fish, reserving the juice.
- 3Combine the curry powder, cumin, paprika, allspice, ginger, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl and stir until well blended.
- 4Place each fish fillet on an individual sheet of aluminum foil.
- 5Coat each fillet with the spice mixture.
- 6Sprinkle a tablespoon of the lime juice over each piece of fish.
- 7Wrap each fillet tightly in the foil.
- 8Remove the rack from the grill and lightly oil it with vegetable oil where the fish will placed.
- 9Make a fire in the grill and heat the coals until they become somewhat white with ash.
- 10Place the fish packets on the grill and cook for 5 minutes.
- 11Turn the fish packets and cook for another 3 minutes.
- 12Open a packet to see if the fish is done. The flesh should be opaque and the skin should pull away from the flesh; flakiness is usually a sign of overcooking.
Browse Our Top African Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy West Indies Fish
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.2
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 84.1 mg
- Sodium 1021.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 47.5 g