Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A different & luscious take on an old favorite! Make sauce first - it will make things easier.
Make and share this Spicy-Warm Shrimp Cocktail recipe from Food.com.
- 16 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 onion, cut into eights
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs uncooked large shrimp (with shells intact)
- 1⁄4 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt
- frehly ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 head iceberg lettuce, very thinly sliced
- lemon wedge, for garnish
- Stir the creme fraiche, mayonnaise, horseradish, ketchup, and 2 tablespoons of chives in a medium saucepan over medium heat until heated through.
- Mix in the lemon juice.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt, pepper & crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
- Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Combine the water, wine, onion, carrots, celery, lemon halves, bay leaf, peppercorns & crushed red pepper flakes in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Turn off the heat amd add the shrimp.
- Cook just until the shrimp turn pink and are opaque in the center about 2 minutes.
- Using a meshed sooon, transfer the shrimp from the water to a baking sheet and cool.
- Peel and devein the shrimp & cut all but 8 of the shrimp crosswise into bite-size chunks.
- Add the diced shrimp to the sauce and stir until the shrimp are warm.
- Divide the lettuce among 4 oversized martini glasses.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon the shrimp mixture atop the lettuce in each glass.
- Place 2 whole shrimp atop each serving and sprinkle with the remaining chives.
- Garnish with the lemon wedges and E N J O Y!