3 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is from my local paper. It looks like a good recipe for the traditional New Year's black eyed-peas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
- 6 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (crushed)
- 1 (26 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (do NOT drain)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (do NOT drain)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1Either presoak beans overnight, or, boil beans for 2 minutes and then remove from heat, cover and let set for 1 hour.
- 2Combine garlic, onions and bell pepper in a skillet.
- 3Cook over low heat, with a little water to prevent from scorching.
- 4Cook until onion is translucent.
- 5Add the cooked onion mix and all remaining ingredients to the black eyed-peas and bring to a boil.
- 6Cover and reduce heat to low.
- 7Cook for 1 1/2- 2 hours, or until peas are soft.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Vegetarian Black-Eyed Peas
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.2
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 476.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 14.5 g