Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a spicy soup with great flavor. I used my homemade fresh salsa but any chunky store-bought will do. I found this recipe in a store coupon book, but made a few changes to suit my taste. You could do the same by changing the veggies a bit - clean out the fridge with this one!
- 4 carrots, peeled &,chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice (spicy-hot variety)
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, undrained
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup hot salsa
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
I made this last month and forgot to submit a review. It is absolutely astounding and spicy. Low fat and delicious. Loved it.
Excellent soup. When it was done it looked like it would be plain but all the vegetables and spices made it a keeper. I ate it everyday for a week and its very diet friendly!
Really good! Simmered on the stovetop instead of the slow cooker. Froze the leftovers in individual portions to enjoy later. Thanks for sharing the recipe!