Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A soup that hits the spot no matter what time of year. You can add as many types of vegetable as you like. Cooking the raw vegetables with the oil and spices before you add any type of broth intensifies the flavor of the soup. Store bought broth works fine. Need to consider salt content when using store bought broth.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 diced onion
- 5 potatoes (about 2 cups diced)
- 2 carrots (about 1 cup diced)
- celery (about 1 cup chopped)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces green beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 8 ounces fresh spinach
- 14 1⁄2 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with peppers
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 -8 cups chicken stock or 6 -8 cups beef stock
- Begin first by dicing raw vegetables into required amounts making sure they are pretty much the same size.
- In a large stock pot saute onion in vegetable oil.
- Add carrots, potatoes, celery, spinach and all the spices(salt,chili powder, garlic salt, black pepper) cook until tender.
- Add diced petite tomatoes and Ro-tel tomatoes with green chilies,.
- corn, green beans, bay leaves and stock.
- Add water if needed.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for two to three hours.
- The last hour simmer with a lid on stock pot.
Mmmm!!! this is a very good soup, I have a fantastic chopper that chops every thing so quick that I had it on the stove top in no time. I liked the chilli in it I also used fresh spinach as I had it in my fridge. I think it would be great for the crock pot also, maybe next time as I was in a hurry for it today. Made for PAC Spring 2010 thank's for posting.
I made this for our dinner last night and it was delicious ~ I didn't even miss the fact that it didn't have any meat in it. I made as written except I used fresh spinach ~ it was spicy good! I also made it in my crock pot so it was super easy. Thanks for posting ~ made for Spring PAC 2010!
Add a little sour cream and its delicious!