Recipe by AndreaTate
Very filling low calorie soup that gets more spicy the longer it sits. -This is also good when I added cooked brown rice and some ground beef.
- 6 large green onions
- 2 medium green peppers
- 27 ounces tomatoes and green chilies, canned
- 3 large carrots
- 10 ounces mushrooms
- 6 large celery ribs
- 1⁄2 small head of cabbage
- 48 ounces vegetable juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 cups water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice green onions, put in a pot and start to sauté with cooking spray.
- Cut green pepper stem ends off and cut in half, take the seeds and membrane out. Cut the green pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot.
- Take the outer leafs layers off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to pot.
- Clean carrots, cut into bite size pieces, and add to pot.
- Slice mushrooms into thick slices, add to pot.
- Add small amount of red or cayenne pepper now (if you like it spicy).
- Use beef or chicken bouillon cubes for seasonings. These have all the salt and flavors you will need.
- Use about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups and the vegetable juice), cover and put heat on low.
- Let soup cook for a long time - two hours works well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.