Recipe by Sue Lau
From Foodland Ontario. Can be made ahead and reheated in a 350F oven until hot and crisp.
Top Review by Kiwi Kathy
Fiddly little darlings to make but well worth the time involved. Definitely spicy with great after taste. I used wonton wrappers and brush with Rice Bran Oil before baking. Served with Riata and Pumpkin Chutney. A most enjoyable meal which DH remarked is a definite 'make again' recipe. Made for Ausssie / Kiwi Swap March 2013.
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- vegetable oil
- 12 ounces yukon gold potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 20 egg roll wraps or 36 wonton wrappers
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion, carrot, potatoes and ginger in oil until soft, 5 minutes or so.
- Add curry powder, salt, cumin, cayenne and pepper to mixture.
- Add water; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender. If water is not absorbed, uncover and cook until just about evaporated.
- Add peas and cook a few minutes, then stir in coriander and remove from heat.
- If using larger egg roll wrappers, cut in half diagonally to make 2. Place a tablespoon of filling in center of each wrapper (depending on size), then moisten edges of wrapper with water; fold in half to form triangle and press edges together to seal.
- Arrange on baking sheet and brush lightly with oil.
- Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Serve with coriander chutney, tamarind chutney, and/or hot onion relish.