Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy chickpea and couscous recipe that smells great while you are cooking it.
Make and share this Spicy Vegetable Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 300 g chickpeas, drained (canned or freshly cooked dried chickpeas)
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 bunch spinach, leaves shredded
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 (440 g) canpeeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup wine (optional)
- cracked pepper
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups water
- Place pine nuts in frying pan and toast lightly for 1 minute.
- Add onion, chilli sauce, cumin and ginger and stir over a high heat for 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add chickpeas, capsicum, spinach, zucchini, and carrot, and stir-fry for 4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 4 minutes longer or until vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile prepare couscous.
- Place couscous in a serving bowl, pour on boiling water, cover and set aside for 3 minutes.
- Use a fork to rake the couscous to separate grains.
- Top with vegetable mixture.
This not only smells great while cooking, it tastes great while eating! I didn't have any chili sauce, so I just omitted it and added in some red pepper flakes while sauteeing the onions. I also held off adding the spinach until the rest of the veggies were done so that it was just nice and wilted. My new favorite couscous is the "grande", which is a very large pearl size. This is definitely a repeatable recipe that we will be enjoying over and over. Thanks so much Missy
Very nice Missy & thanks for your help :) I made some mod's: added crushed garlic, crushed chili instead of the sauce, sliced mushies & I completely forgot about the tomato paste. At the end i just put the boiling water & couscous into the saucepan, threw in the couscous & turned off the stove. Very quick & easy.
This was really delicious. The blend of the cumin and sweet chili paste was really excellent and unusual. I changed/omitted some of the ingredients, and it was still an excellent meal. It reheats very well and gets tastier as the flavors have more time to blend.