Recipe by mersaydees
This is based on a recipe from Glamour's Gourmet On the Run cookbook, by Jane Kirby. I love this dish served with whole-wheat pita bread and Moroccan mint tea (you'll find several recipes for this tea on 'Zaar).
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
Oh, I enjoyed this! I was looking for a nice veg dish to enjoy while the rest of the family had a meat entrée, and I think I got the better meal! It was very easy to prepare, and I imagine there is room for experimentation in terms of which veggies are used. I am not a fan of turnips, so I added some eggplant and green beans I had languishing in the crisper. Turned out great! I will use that method for prepping grains in the future; the butter and broth added terrific flavor. I cut this recipe in half this evening to serve just me and my toddler son, and boy do I wish I had made a whole recipe as leftovers would be sublime! Next time I might add more pepper flakes, but I might have been a bit ginger with them because of my little guy. Made for ZWT 9, by a fellow Gourmet Goddess.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 medium turnip, diced (2 cups)
- 2 carrots, diagonally sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup garbanzo beans (canned chick-peas)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup couscous
- fresh cilantro (to garnish) or parsley sprig (to garnish)
- sesame seeds, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic to pan, and saute until tender but not brown.
- Add turnip, carrots, tomatoes, salt, cumin, crushed red pepper and chicken broth.
- Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender yet firm when tested a fork.
- Add zucchini and garbanzo beans; cook until zucchini is just tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous:.
- In a large saucepan, heat chicken broth and butter.
- Add couscous.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- To serve, spoon some couscous on a warm plate; top with vegetables and their broth.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley and sesame seeds.