Recipe by Juenessa
This recipe comes from Country Woman Magazine. Lime juice and black beans gives a usually traditional dish an un-traditional twist! Try the chili served over rice for a satisfying meal.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I love trying different chili recipes and the lime juice and sage combo really added a nice complex flavor. I used fresh sage (about 1 tsp.), since I thought crock pot cooking intensifies fresh herbs. Thanks Juenessa, for an especially good chili! Roxygirl
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 6 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- hot cooked rice (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, lime juice, cornmeal and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for approximately 8 hours.
- Serve over rice (optional); sprinkle with cheese.