Recipe by ellie_
We enjoyed this simple soup which I adapted from weight watchers.com. It is a little soupy - so if you prefer a thicker soup, you may want to decrease the amount of broth or add some extra veggies. It also freezes great - and actually is better re-heated in the microwave.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This soup had great flavor -- the allspice and ginger were a real surprise to this TexMex style soup. The only thing I did differently was to add a few more veggies such as corn, zucchini and a few potatoes that I needed to use up. I also used chicken tenderloins vs. the turkey. I will definitely be making this soup again -- thanks so much for the post! Made for the Tailgating Tag, September, 2011.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb skinless boneless turkey breast, cut into 1-inch chunks (I used a package of turkey tenderloins)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies (I used mild, but think medium or hot may be a better choice)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl combine spices (allspice - garlic salt plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper). Add turkey and toss. Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Place turkey in crockpot (plus any spices left in the bowl) and next 7 ingredients (garlic - salt plus the remaining 1/4 tsp pepper). Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro and let sit another 5 minutes or so.