Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from my aunt. It is a little time consuming, but we just love it! I hope you do, as well!
- 3⁄4 lb turkey sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
- 1 pinch fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley (coarsely chopped)
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 lb lasagna noodle
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb small curd cottage cheese
- Put olive oil and sausage in large pot and brown the meat.
- Add garlic, onion, dried seasonings, and mushrooms. Simmer until onions are softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and parsley. Simmer, uncovered, for about 1 1/2 hours.
- While sauce is simmering, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Rinse with cold water.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 13x9-inch non-stick baking dish.
- Lay 3 noodles evenly over the sauce.
- Spread about half of the cottage cheese onto the noodles.
- Sprinkle about 1/3 of the mozzarella and parmesan evenly into the pan.
- Spread another thin layer of sauce.
- Repeat steps 8-11.
- Lay 3 more noodles evenly over the sauce.
- Spread out the rest of the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan and mozzarella.
- Bake, covered with aluminum foil, for about 45 minutes.
- Uncover, and continue to bake for 15 more minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
I forgot the cottage cheese, but it was still amazing. Rave reviews from my boyfriend as well!