Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a good recipe to use with that leftover turkey from the holiday season or make it fresh like I do sometimes.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 (16 1/2 ounce) cans fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups turkey stock
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more if desired to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 In a large, 8-quart, thick-bottom pot, cook the onion, celery, and green pepper over medium high heat, stirring, until whilted, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for a minute or two more. Add a bit more vegatable oil if needed.
- 2 Add tomatoes, tomato paste, stock. beans, oregano, salt, pepper, and cooked turkey meat. Bring mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for an hour.
- 3 Salt to taste. Add 1 to 3 teaspoons of sugar to take the edge of the acidity of the tomatoes if desired.