Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 1 1/3 cup gumbo with 1/2 cup rice. Per serving: 379 calories, 7.5 g fat, 27.3 g protein, 48.9 g carb, 4.8 g fiber, 72 mg cholesterol.
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend (Uncle Ben's)
- 2 links hot Italian turkey sausage (each link should be 4 oz.)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey (dark meat is prefered)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare rice by following the package directions, OMITTING the seasoning packet.
- Cook sausage (casings removed) in a large pot over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add in onion, celery, and bell pepper; stir/saute 4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and stir/saute 1 minute.
- Stir in flour; cook 6 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring constantly.
- Add in sweet potato and the next 5 ingredients; bring mixture to boiling.
- Cover, lower heat, adn simmer 15 minutes.
- Add in turkey and hot sauce; cook, uncovered, 3 minutes.
- Throw out bay leaf.
- Serve gumbo over rice.