Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Layers of heat to warm you from the inside out!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground turkey (may use the 1.25 lb. size package)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3⁄4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery rib (2-3 ribs)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 3 cups chicken broth (I prefer low-sodium)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans (drained)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes in tomato puree (I prefer Hunt's Petite Diced)
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced mild green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced jalapeno peppers
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro (or dried equivalent)
- 1 teaspoon salt (Granular table salt is fine)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In non-stick skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add ground turkey, season with salt and pepper; sautee until brown (about 7 minutes). Add diced onion, green bell pepper, and celery; sautee until onion is transluscent (about 3 minutes). Add fresh garlic and sautee another two minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Break ground turkey into small crumbles.
- Transfer skillet ingredients to heavy, large pot over medium heat. Add chicken broth, all beans, tomatoes with juices, green chiles, jalapeno chiles, chili powder, and ground cumin to turkey mixture. If using dried cilantro, add it at this time. Stir to mix all ingredient evenly. Cover pot with lid; reduce heat to a low; simmer 30 minutes.
- If using fresh cilantro, use it as a garnish when serving. May also serve with finely shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped onions.