Recipe by WoodenSpoon
Not too spicy but interesting enough that it has become an much-requested favourite in my house. I use crushed garlic & chilli from a jar. Can alter ingredient quatities to taste. Yummy on toast for breaky.
- 1 medium red capsicum, chopped
- 425 g canned tuna (in springwater or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon crushed bottled chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed bottled garlic
- 2 -3 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely diced
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 leek, finely sliced (optional)
- 4 cups milk
- 200 g butter
- 8 -9 tablespoons plain flour
- 3⁄4 cup cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pan and fry garli & chilli and leek if using until translucent. Reduce heat slightly and add tuna and half of juices. Add vegies and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- White Sauce:.
- Heat butter saucepan until melted. Mix in flour stirring with a wooden spoon to form a "roux". Do not brown.
- Remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cheese and filling mixture. Allow to simmer, stirring constantly.
- Serve with pasta or on toast.