Recipe by lady_heather
This is a recipe from one of my student cookbooks. It offers a little something from your average fish cake. Or, if you wanted something a little different, try red salmon. I just stick to the tuna version, but if anyone does use salmon, let me know how it works out.
- 8 ounces potatoes
- 13 ounces canned tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons plain flour, seasoned
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes, until tender.
- Drain, mash and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat the tuna, cheese, green onions, garlic, thyme and egg into the mashed potatoes, and add a dash of cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture into four and make into thick burgers.
- Sprinkle the flour over them and fry in a shallow layer of hot oil for 5 minutes on each side, until they are crisp and golden.