The Neely's say this is their kind of soup-it has plenty of atitude! A little heat gives it a smoky undertone and a garnish of avocado relish balances the flavors! Serve with cornbread or a grilled cheese sandwich. From Down Home with the Neely's cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- 2 (28 ounce) cans peeled plum tomatoes with juice
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2-2 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 -2 teaspoon sherry wine vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped (or remove the seeds from a regular cucumber and chop)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (or parsley leaves)
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and finely chopped (optional, depending on your heat tolerance)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- kosher salt
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until the ingredients are fragrant and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, broth, and bay leaves, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, make the avocado relish:.
- 3Combine the avocado, red onion, cucumber, cilantro(or parsley), serrano chile(if using), lime juice, and a generous sprinkling of salt in a bowl. Taste for seasonings, and add more salt or lime if you like.
- 4After the soup has simmered, remove bay leaves and stir in the chipotle peppers and vinegar. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor and return it to the pot.
- 5Season the puree with more salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, and serve each portion garnished with a few tablespoons of the avocado relish. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Tomato Soup With Avocado Relish
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.0
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 452.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo
sherry wine vinegar