1/1 Photo of Spicy Tomato Soup
1 hr 20 mins
Mixing It Up in the Italian Tradition! From Amanda and Merrill
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled, halved, and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste ( we started with 1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- creme fraiche, for garnish (optional)
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and very tender, about 10 minutes.
- 2Stir in the tomatoes and their juices, plus the water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors have melded, about 30 minutes. (If you're in a hurry, you can skip the simmer time -- just add a bit less water.)
- 3Add the basil, season with salt and pepper, remove from the heat, and let cool briefly, about 5 minutes.
- 4Set a fine-mesh strainer over a large, heatproof bowl.
- 5Using a blender, purée the soup in batches until smooth, removing the small cap from the blender lid (the pour lid) and covering the space with a kitchen towel (this allows steam from the hot soup to escape and prevents the blender lid from popping off).
- 6Pour the blended soup through the strainer, pressing on the solids with a rubber spatula or ladle; discard the solids. Taste the soup and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- 7Return the soup to the saucepan and reheat on medium low until hot.
- 8If you choose, serve topped with a tablespoon of crème fraîche.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.2
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 2.7 g