Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Although this sauce is wonderful as a base for pasta or pizza sauce, we also us it as a base for cioppino.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian tomatoes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, with puree
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, oregano, basil, marjorum and crushed red pepper.
- Cook covered until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered until sauce thickens and measures 8 cups total.
- Stir now and then and break up the tomatoes with a spoon.
- This will take about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Can be made well in advance and refrigerated or frozen.