Recipe by Mille®
Campbell's, get lost! This beats the daylights out of Campbell's "Healthy Request" tomato juice. Feel free to "tweak" the recipe to suit your taste.
Top Review by OhMyStars!
This tasted pretty good for a low sodium version, but it was a lot harder to make than I thought it would be. Next time I will peel and seed the tomatoes before cooking and use the hand blender to puree rather than using a sieve. Of course if the food mill shows up . . . Another problem I encountered was that there is no concurrence on what the "mixed spice" consists of- is it the New Zealand style, the Irish blend, or some other assortment? On the other hand, it WAS tasty when I finally finished and I will play with it a bit the next time I make it. Thanks for posting so many of these low sodium recipes!
- 4 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 6 slices beets
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop tomatoes, celery, onion, and beets.
- Place them in crockpot.
- Cover; cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Press mixture through a sieve.
- Return the extracted juice to crockpot and cook on high for half an hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 15 minutes.