Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 hrs
Campbell's, get lost! This beats the daylights out of Campbell's "Healthy Request" tomato juice. Feel free to "tweak" the recipe to suit your taste.
- 4 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 6 slices beets
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Chop tomatoes, celery, onion, and beets.
- Place them in crockpot.
- Cover; cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Press mixture through a sieve.
- Return the extracted juice to crockpot and cook on high for half an hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 15 minutes.
This tasted pretty good for a low sodium version, but it was a lot harder to make than I thought it would be. Next time I will peel and seed the tomatoes before cooking and use the hand blender to puree rather than using a sieve. Of course if the food mill shows up . . . Another problem I encountered was that there is no concurrence on what the "mixed spice" consists of- is it the New Zealand style, the Irish blend, or some other assortment? On the other hand, it WAS tasty when I finally finished and I will play with it a bit the next time I make it. Thanks for posting so many of these low sodium recipes!