1/1 Photo of Spicy Tomato Jam
216 hrs 15 mins
My tomatoes overflowth! I was looking for ways to use my bounty and stumbled into this recipe on-line. It is so good I felt that it also needed to be on Zaar. The use of 1 serrano chili produces a very slight heat. If you want it "hotter", up the amount of chili. I made this with fresh garden tomatoes and fresh garden basil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring a medium size pan of water to a boil.
- 2Plunge washed tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds or until skin slips easily when placed in cold water.
- 3Remove tomatoes from hot water with a slotted spoon and plunge immediately into cold water.
- 4Cut off tops, remove skin and core (It is not necessary to remove all the seeds but I would recommend removing the core.).
- 5Cut the tomatoes into fourths, place in container of food processor along with metal blade and pulse 2 to 3 times to chop being careful not to over process.
- 6Place the tomatoes in a large non-reactive pot or Dutch oven; simmer 10 minutes.
- 7Add the chili and sugar, stirring to blend; add lemon juice, cilantro and tomato juice stirring to blend.
- 8Bring to a boil over high heat and stir until sugar dissolves; approximately 1 minute.
- 9Boil gently for 10 minutes skimming off and discarding any scum that may come to the surface.
- 10Remove from heat, cover and allow to sit at room temperature for a minimum of 8 hours; overnight is fine.
- 11Return the tomatoes to heat, bring to a simmer and allow to cook until thick and temperature on candy/jelly thermometer reaches 220 degrees; approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- 12Skim off any foam, ladle into hot, clean, half-pint canning jars, and leaving 1-inch of head space.
- 13Wipe the rim of the jars with clean cloth, place on the lids and rings; put the jars into a water bath canner with boiling water and process for 5 to 10 minutes or as recommended for your altitude.
- 14Carefully remove the jars from the water and place on countertop on top of a towel.
- 15Allow jars to cool and check seal; label and store in cool place. Enjoy!
- 16Note: If you don't have a candy/jelly thermometer; you can use the plate test. Place a small plate in the freezer and allow to chill. Remove plate a drop a small amount of hot jam onto plate, return to freezer for 1 minute. The mixture should hold its shape when touched and not have watery edges.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Tomato Jam
Serving Size: 1 (2147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 835.1
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 257.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 214.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 209.4 g
- Protein 2.8 g