1/1 Photo of Spicy Tomato Jam
216 hrs 15 mins
My tomatoes overflowth! I was looking for ways to use my bounty and stumbled into this recipe on-line. It is so good I felt that it also needed to be on Zaar. The use of 1 serrano chili produces a very slight heat. If you want it "hotter", up the amount of chili. I made this with fresh garden tomatoes and fresh garden basil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring a medium size pan of water to a boil.
- 2Plunge washed tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds or until skin slips easily when placed in cold water.
- 3Remove tomatoes from hot water with a slotted spoon and plunge immediately into cold water.
- 4Cut off tops, remove skin and core (It is not necessary to remove all the seeds but I would recommend removing the core.).
- 5Cut the tomatoes into fourths, place in container of food processor along with metal blade and pulse 2 to 3 times to chop being careful not to over process.
- 6Place the tomatoes in a large non-reactive pot or Dutch oven; simmer 10 minutes.
- 7Add the chili and sugar, stirring to blend; add lemon juice, cilantro and tomato juice stirring to blend.
- 8Bring to a boil over high heat and stir until sugar dissolves; approximately 1 minute.
- 9Boil gently for 10 minutes skimming off and discarding any scum that may come to the surface.
- 10Remove from heat, cover and allow to sit at room temperature for a minimum of 8 hours; overnight is fine.
- 11Return the tomatoes to heat, bring to a simmer and allow to cook until thick and temperature on candy/jelly thermometer reaches 220 degrees; approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- 12Skim off any foam, ladle into hot, clean, half-pint canning jars, and leaving 1-inch of head space.
- 13Wipe the rim of the jars with clean cloth, place on the lids and rings; put the jars into a water bath canner with boiling water and process for 5 to 10 minutes or as recommended for your altitude.
- 14Carefully remove the jars from the water and place on countertop on top of a towel.
- 15Allow jars to cool and check seal; label and store in cool place. Enjoy!
- 16Note: If you don't have a candy/jelly thermometer; you can use the plate test. Place a small plate in the freezer and allow to chill. Remove plate a drop a small amount of hot jam onto plate, return to freezer for 1 minute. The mixture should hold its shape when touched and not have watery edges.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Tomato Jam
Serving Size: 1 (2147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 835.1
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 257.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 214.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 209.4 g
- Protein 2.8 g