Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is not your average run-of-the-mill tomato soup, this soup takes time to prepare but well worth the extra time. The soup can be made and refrigerated then pureed and heated the following day, actually it tastes even better as the flavors blend overnight. If you like spice then try this soup, of coarse you can adjust the jalapeno to taste. This is a fantastic starter to serve to your guests at a dinner party, to save time, make the soup well in advance even a day ahead, and just warm before dinner, pass a small cup of whipping cream. The complete recipe may be doubled to serve more than four people.
Top Review by JuneDawg
Kittencal! I can't beleive nobody has rated this by now! I made it for a guy @ work who loves jalapeno anything (specifically my homemade salsa) and Tomato soup. I owed him a favor and when I foud this recipe by accident I thought of him. I made it today, and all my taste testings were def. 5 star! The only dif. I made was I put 2 japs. in the soup, only because this guy really likes spicey things (as do I). Another amazing recipe Kittencal!
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes (drain only 1 can)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper (with seeds or without, leave the seeds for more heat)
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 -4 tablespoon sugar (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- whipping cream (unwhipped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree 2 cans of tomatoes in a blender (leave one with the juice, and the other drained).
- In a heavy large pot or saucepan saute the onion, garlic, chile pepper and fresh ginger until onion is softened (about 6 minutes).
- Add in cumin; cook stirring 1 minute.
- Stir in pureed tomatoes, broth, 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 teaspoons salt; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes.
- At this point you may refrigerate and puree the following day, or cool the mixture slightly then blend in a blender until smooth (be careful when blending hot liquids!).
- Force the liquid over a sieve to remove any seeds.
- If needed heat the soup.
- Ladle into bowls and drizzle with whipping cream.