Recipe by evelyn/athens
From Mary Cech in Savory Baking. This delicious puttanesca-style spicy tomato crumble with a crunchy topping is great with grilled fish. For an interesting change, scoop a large spoonful on top of fresh cooked pasta.—Mary Cech
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
What a very interesting recipe! I loved this, the crumble topping is marvellous, and the tomato filling very good, both spicy and sweet, tantalisingly different!~ DH found it a trifle too sweet -- maybe one tsp of honey would have been better -- but personally, I really enjoyed this, and I had enough to have some next day, like all the best sauces, even better after having had time for the flavours to develop. I really enjoyed trying this delicious recipe, made for International Agents of QUEST, Italy!
For the crumble topping
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
For the spicy tomato filling
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained, and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely diced pepperoncini peppers (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons clover honey
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- one 28-ounce can whole italian tomatoes with juice, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the crumble topping: Combine the bread crumbs, rolled oats, flour, Parmesan cheese, oregano, sage, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Make the spicy tomato filling: Put the garlic, capers, pepperoncini, honey, basil, red wine, tomatoes, and olives in a medium saucepan over high heat. Stir and bring to a rapid boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 25 minutes to reduce the filling slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Pour the spicy tomato filling into one 6-cup (1 1/2-quart) casserole dish and sprinkle with the crumble topping. Place the crumble on a baking sheet and center in the oven. Bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 15 minutes. Serve the tomato crumble hot from the oven.