Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tomato Soup with a twist.
Make and share this Spicy Tomato & Coriander Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 700 g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 small leek, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- single light cream (to garnish)
- In a medium pot, heat oil and cook chopped tomatoes, shallots, leek and bay leaf for a few minutes until transparent, do not brown.
- Add garlic, chilli flakes, black pepper, salt to taste, tomato paste and coriander to tomato mixture, then add stock.
- Bring to boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix cornflour in a little cold water and set aside.
- Remove from heat and blend to your preferred consistency.
- Return soup to heat adding cornflour mix and stir over gentle heat abou 2- 3 minutes until thickened.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with swirl of cream.
One of my favourite soups, spicy and full of flavour. Made it many many times and I keep coming back to it. Sometimes I omit leek as it is not easy to get where I live but the soup is still very tasty. Thank you for posting this recipe!
I founf this recipe in a series of cookbooks entitled "Around the World: Taste of India" with some minor changes. It called for 6 spring onions in place of the shallots and leek, omitted the chili flakes, and used water instead of vegetable stock. I made this recipe as written in my book but took your suggestion of using vegetable stock instead of water. My recipe also called for straining the soup after cooking - we did this and added some of the vegetables afterwards to make this more hearty. This was a flavourful soup that I will definitely make again, although next time I will put in only 1/2 teaspoon of pepper as 1 teaspoon was too peppery for us. Thanks for posting.