Recipe by English_Rose
Chicken thighs make a tasty change from breasts in this chucky tomato and veg sauce. Good way of getting kids to eat more veggies! From UK's Good Food.
Top Review by Charlotte J
This is a nice hearty meal. I had 3 thighs and 3 drumsticks when I made this. I browned the chicken in olive oil. I did use 2 tablespoons of flour. I was glad I did as there was no flour mixture to add in on step 5. Then I used yellow and green zucchini from our garden. Since our garden tomatoes are not ready yet, I used a 14 ounces diced tomatoes, adding them in the last 8 minutes of cooking. I did not add them in on step 8 because I wanted them to retain some shape. We used bread to get ever last drop of this delicious sauce. Made for *Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup 2009* game
- 2 teaspoons seasoned flour
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 lb red ripe tomato, cut into chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix togather the seasoned flour and chilli powder. Use to coat the chicken thighs. Set aside remaining seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan with a lid.
- Add chicken and fry over a medium-high heat for 8-10 mins, turning once until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 5-6 mins, stirring until softened.
- Sprinkle in the reserved seasoned flour and cook for 1 min stirring continuously.
- Add broth, garlic and tomato paste.
- Return chicken to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Scatter over zucchini and tomatoes.
- Stir, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with mashed pototoes to sop up the sauce!