Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Low in saturated fat, serve with tenderstem broccoli or stir fried veggies.
- 250 g firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- Place the tofu on a plate and pat dry with kitchen paper. Slice into 1cm thick slices.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a non stick frying pan, once oil is hot add the tofu and cook over a medium heat for 5-8minutes either side or until tofu is golden brown.
- Place the soy sauce, sesame oil, 5 spice powder and honey in a large bowl. Mix well and toss.
- in the warm tofu. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Serve with steamed tender stem broccoli or stir fried vegetables.
I did like this recipe but I did not "love it" as is. I will try less spice next time because the cinnamon was too strong for me. I made a stir fry with the veggies I had on hand which went perfect with it. Beets, baby bok choy, fennel bulb and some swiss chard leaves. Just at the end of stir frying I poured some of the sauce in from this recipe and cooked it in. Then I combined the tofu and the stir fry. Thanks for the recipe. I will keep playing around with it to get it perfect for me.
This is a healthy dish! Very easy to make. I was afraid that 1 tablespoon of five-spice was going to be a bit over powering, but it wasn't for me; just depends on your taste. I used peanut oil to fry the tofu. I also mixed the 'sauce' in a small bowl and then added that to the tofu pan. I didn't think it was that spicy, so I added some pepper flakes. Served it with tenderstem broccoli and it was delicious! I would say that this recipe serves 2 people.