Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Low in saturated fat, serve with tenderstem broccoli or stir fried veggies.
Make and share this Spicy Tofu With Sesame and Five Spices recipe from Food.com.
- 250 g firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- Place the tofu on a plate and pat dry with kitchen paper. Slice into 1cm thick slices.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a non stick frying pan, once oil is hot add the tofu and cook over a medium heat for 5-8minutes either side or until tofu is golden brown.
- Place the soy sauce, sesame oil, 5 spice powder and honey in a large bowl. Mix well and toss.
- in the warm tofu. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Serve with steamed tender stem broccoli or stir fried vegetables.
I did like this recipe but I did not "love it" as is. I will try less spice next time because the cinnamon was too strong for me. I made a stir fry with the veggies I had on hand which went perfect with it. Beets, baby bok choy, fennel bulb and some swiss chard leaves. Just at the end of stir frying I poured some of the sauce in from this recipe and cooked it in. Then I combined the tofu and the stir fry. Thanks for the recipe. I will keep playing around with it to get it perfect for me.
This is a healthy dish! Very easy to make. I was afraid that 1 tablespoon of five-spice was going to be a bit over powering, but it wasn't for me; just depends on your taste. I used peanut oil to fry the tofu. I also mixed the 'sauce' in a small bowl and then added that to the tofu pan. I didn't think it was that spicy, so I added some pepper flakes. Served it with tenderstem broccoli and it was delicious! I would say that this recipe serves 2 people.