Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe I got from a friend who replaced the beef with tofu for our friends who are vegetarian, and also those who are trying to vary their diets and not have so many meals with meat.
- 7 ounces pasta, such as wagon wheel or 7 ounces other small shell pasta, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1⁄2 lb firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain and set aside.
- Coat a dutch oven with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add onion and green pepper; saute until tender. Add garlic and saute for one more minute.
- Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and tofu. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Add beans and cook 10 additional minutes or until bean mixture is thoroughly heated.
- To serve, place 1/2 cup pasta into each of 6 individual bowls, and spoon 1 cup chili over each serving. Top servings evenly with cheese.