This is a recipe I got from a friend who replaced the beef with tofu for our friends who are vegetarian, and also those who are trying to vary their diets and not have so many meals with meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 ounces pasta, such as wagon wheel or 7 ounces other small shell pasta, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1/2 lb firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain and set aside.
- 2Coat a dutch oven with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add onion and green pepper; saute until tender. Add garlic and saute for one more minute.
- 3Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- 4Stir in tomatoes and tofu. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Add beans and cook 10 additional minutes or until bean mixture is thoroughly heated.
- 5To serve, place 1/2 cup pasta into each of 6 individual bowls, and spoon 1 cup chili over each serving. Top servings evenly with cheese.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Tofu Vegetarian Chili
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.9
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 615.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 17.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat cheddar cheese