Recipe by dicentra
Cooking Light, MARCH 2005. I love noodle bowls!
Top Review by hoosierterp
We loved this dish! We made a few substitutions and additions though. We added an egg, some shredded cabbage and carrots, and edamame. We also used a mix of mushrooms and added some extra siracha (and omitted the brown sugar). Delicious!
- 170.09 g uncooked udon noodles (thick, round fresh Japanese wheat noodles) or 170.09 g spaghetti
- 9.85 ml canola oil
- 473.18 ml sliced mushrooms
- 709.77 ml reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 473.18 ml snow peas, trimmed
- 14.79 ml minced peeled fresh ginger
- 29.58 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 4.92 ml brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced
- 236.59 ml light coconut milk
- 44.37 ml fresh lime juice
- 4.92 ml sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 348.69 g packagelite firm silken tofu, cut into (1/2-inch)
- 118.29 ml chopped green onion
- 59.14 ml chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth and next 6 ingredients (through serrano); bring to a boil. Cook 4 minutes.
- Stir in milk, lime juice, and Sambal oelek; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add tofu; cook 5 minutes. Place about 1 cup noodles into each of 4 bowls.
- Ladle about 1 1/4 cups soup into each bowl; sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons green onions and 1 tablespoon cilantro.