Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the best dish I've ever made. If you are only going to make one of my recipes, go for this one. This recipe calls for store bought kimchi. A lot of Asian groceries make their own. It's best to go for the home made stuff. To make this vegan, skip the egg.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh ginger (grated)
- 1⁄2 ounce garlic clove (pressed)
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh scallions (chopped)
- 8 ounces firm tofu (cubed)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 pint cabbage kimchi (pureed)
- 2 ounces water
- 1 egg
- Heat up the olive oil and sesame oil.
- After it is nice and hot at a high flame, throw in the red pepper flakes, ginger, garlic and scallions. Sauté them for two minutes.
- Toss in the tofu, sauté it for two minutes. Pour in the soy sauce and oyster sauce. Sauté for two more minutes.
- Toss in the pureed kimchi and water. Bring it to boil.
- Crack the egg open in the mixture and stir it inches When the egg is cooked, your food is done.
- Serve over rice.
This dish comes together quickly and tastes good. I would recommend either pureeing the kimchi really really well or maybe just chopping up the vegetables. I used an immersion blender to blend the kimchi and the water and the result was slightly gritty tasting. Flavor was good but texture was a bit off. This is great to have in the fall and winter, it's a nice warming dish. I don't know how you could possibly get 4 servings out of this recipe. I'd say only 2 servings. Thanks for posting. I'd make this again.
VEGANS BEWARE!! Just a note, kimchi is made with fish sauce, so if you are a strict vegan, please bear this in mind. Any authentic kimchi you get will be made with fish sauce (sometimes even octopus or squid). Practically the only way to ensure the kimchi is vegan is if you make it yourself.
This was a great recipe! I had some fresh kimchi from a Jamie Oliver recipe which needed using and I stirfried it up with tofu using this recipe (although I didn't bother to puree the kimchi). So quick and easy and so good!