Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Courtesy of one of my favorite magazines, Food & Wine. Excellent one-dish meal, two if you serve with rice!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 lb boneless pork shoulder, sliced 1/4 inch thick across the grain
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons korean sweet-spicy red chili paste (kochujang)
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick
- 15 ounces soft tofu, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 hot red peppers or 1 hot green pepper, thinly sliced (preferably Korean)
- fresh ground pepper
- steamed rice, for serving
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the pork, garlic and onion and season with salt and pepepr.
- Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the pork is no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Add the chili paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat until almost tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tofu and simmer for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the scallions and fresh chile and simmer for 1 minute longer.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with steamed white rice on the side.