Red Kidney beans add colour and texture to these chunky burgers, but other cooked beans, such as soya beans, would work in this dish as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 celery rib (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 220 g red kidney beans
- 75 g salted peanuts
- 250 g tofu
- 2 teaspoons curry paste (medium)
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- egg substitute (equal to 1 egg)
- 1/2 small cucumber (peeled and deseeded)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a frying pan and gently fry all but 1 tbs of the onion with the celery for 5 minutes until thay are soft. Add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
- 2Put the kidney beans in a bowl and mash them lightly with a fork to break them up. Finely chop the peanuts in a food processor. Pat the tofu dry on kitchen paper, break it into pieces and add it to the nuts in the food processor. Blend them until the tofu is crumbly then add the mixture to the beans together with the fried vegetables, curry paste, breadcrumbs and egg replacer and mix everything well to obtain a thick paste.
- 3Divide the mixture in the bowl into quarters and shape into burgers, dusting your hands with flour if the mixture is sticky. Heat the remaining oil in the pan and gently fry the burgers for about 4 minutes on each side, until golden.
- 4Meanwhile, chop the cucumber finely and mix it with the reserved tablespoon of chopped onion, the parsley, vinegar and sugar in a bowl. Serve with the burgers.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Tofu Burgers With Cucumber Relish
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.9
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 272.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 15.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar