Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Red Kidney beans add colour and texture to these chunky burgers, but other cooked beans, such as soya beans, would work in this dish as well.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 celery rib (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 220 g red kidney beans
- 75 g salted peanuts
- 250 g tofu
- 2 teaspoons curry paste (medium)
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- egg substitute (equal to 1 egg)
- 1⁄2 small cucumber (peeled and deseeded)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a frying pan and gently fry all but 1 tbs of the onion with the celery for 5 minutes until thay are soft. Add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Put the kidney beans in a bowl and mash them lightly with a fork to break them up. Finely chop the peanuts in a food processor. Pat the tofu dry on kitchen paper, break it into pieces and add it to the nuts in the food processor. Blend them until the tofu is crumbly then add the mixture to the beans together with the fried vegetables, curry paste, breadcrumbs and egg replacer and mix everything well to obtain a thick paste.
- Divide the mixture in the bowl into quarters and shape into burgers, dusting your hands with flour if the mixture is sticky. Heat the remaining oil in the pan and gently fry the burgers for about 4 minutes on each side, until golden.
- Meanwhile, chop the cucumber finely and mix it with the reserved tablespoon of chopped onion, the parsley, vinegar and sugar in a bowl. Serve with the burgers.