Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This makes a nice accompaniment to a curry or stir fry. It can be very spicy depending on the type of chili sauce and pepper/chili used, so taste often if you are sensitive to hot foods. I like to use the seedless cukes that are about 5-6" long, but any cuke will work (preferably not waxed). The ingredient database did not have the type of cuke I use, so get about 15" of thin cucumber. Time includes 45 minutes marinating.
- 3 English seedless cucumbers
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce, to taste (I use sriracha)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, diced (or other hot pepper)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- In a medium glass bowl, combine the vinegars, sugar, and sriracha. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- If using waxed cucumbers, peel. If using the small seedless or english, you can leave the peel on. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise. Scrape the seeds out with a spoon or end of peeler. Thinly slice the cucumbers.
- Add the cucumbers, onion, cilantro, and pepper to the vinegar. Toss to coat. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in the fish sauce and sprinkle with the peanuts.