Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you want a delicious spicy appetizer or for a tail gate picnic, try these. I also included a recipe for homemade Sweet-Hot Garlic Chili Sauce for dipping.
- 18 chicken wings, whole, tips removed
- 3 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sweet-hot chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, for garnish
- 3 stalks scallions, for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut wings by disjoining the two sections and trim away excess fat.
- Place wings on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons canola oil and the grated ginger and cook for 2 minujtes.
- Add vinegar, hot sesame oil, sesame seeds, honey, soy sauce and Sweet-Hot Garlic Chili Sauce.
- Cook for 2 more minutes then transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet add 4-6 tablespoons canola oil.
- Return the chicken wings to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove wings and drain on paper towels then add to the bowl with the sauce mixture, tossing to coat.
- Marinate in fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Place wings on a baking pan, reserving the sauce, and bake in 375F for 15-20 minutes to heat thoroughly.
- Serve with more sauce. Garnish with chopped scallions and sesame seeds, tossing to coat evenly.
- SWEET-HOT GARLIC CHILI SAUCE:.
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar.
- 1/2 cup white sugar.
- 1/4 cup water.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce.
- 2 tablespoons Sherry wine.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced.
- 3/4 teaspoons Thai dried crushed chilis.
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3-4 tablespoons water.
- Place all ingredients except the cornstarch in a pot and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and let boil for 10-12 minutes or until reduced by almost half.
- Reduce heat to low and add the cornstarch mixture incorporating into sauce.
- Cook until thickened about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and adjust taste to more sweet or more hot adding sugar or more chilis.
- Serve with wings.