Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My recipe for a Thai chicken salad side dish.
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons natural chunky peanut butter (I like Adam's)
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon sambal oelek or 1 -2 tablespoon asian hot chili-garlic sauce
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons sugar (I like it slightly tangy)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coconut extract (my preference) (optional)
- 12 ounces roasted rotisserie chicken breasts, shredded
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce, julienned
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaf, snipped
- marinated toasted sesame seeds
- snipped fresh chives
- fresh cilantro leaf (final touch)
- NOTE: TO MAKE MARINATED TOASTED SESAME SEEDS FOR THE SALAD GARNISH, MOISTEN SESAME SEEDS WELL WITH SOY SAUCE, THEN BAKE IN A 275 F OVEN, TURNING WITH SPATULA UNTIL DRY AND TOASTED (ALLOW TO COOL).
- PREPARE DRESSING: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons white vinegar, 3 tablespoons chunky peanut butter, 3 tablespoons coconut milk, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1-2 tablespoons sambal oelek (or sriracha sauce), 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons sugar, 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil and 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract, if desired, until well-blended.
- DEBONE 12 ounces skinned roasted rotisserie chicken breasts for the salad.
- SHRED or chunk chicken by hand.
- CUT iceberg lettuce thin julienne strips.
- TOSS lettuce with 1-2 tablespoons fresh snipped cilantro.
- PLACE a mound of shredded chicken over the lettuce heaps on serving dishes.
- DRIZZLE the dressing over each serving (if desired, snip fresh chives over dressing for added color and flavor).
- GARNISH with the marinated toasted sesame seeds and a cilantro sprig.
- SERVE and enjoy!
This should be called chicken satay salad! That is essentially what it is, complete with the dip (dressing here). I made a double recipe of this and really liked it. I liked it better the second time, because the first time I had it I did not use the garnishes and the second salad I did - green onions and tomatoes, too. Thanks for posting, Spice Guru, I will make this in the future!