Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Ginger is the piquant note in the marinade, the vinaigrette, and the vegetables for this entree salad. The green and stir-fry are topped with marinated seared steak slices. Recipe by Chef Roy Yamaguchi, Roy's Restaurant, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii.
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 (4 ounce) New York strip steaks
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced kaffir lime leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh bean sprout
- 1⁄4 cup shredded radicchio
- 1⁄2 maui onions or 1⁄2 other sweet onion, cut into ½ inch thick rings
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 20 fresh mint leaves
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup watercress leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shiitake mushroom, stemmed and sliced
- 2 ounces chinese bean thread noodles
- 4 ounces mixed baby greens
- 2 tablespoons macadamia nuts, toasted and crushed
- ---To make the marinade---.
- In a shallow dish, combine all the marinade ingredients.
- Add the steak strips and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet over high heat, heat the sesame oil and sauté the steak for 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer the steak to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes.
- ---To make the vinaigrette---.
- In the same pan over high heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the lemongrass, shallot, ginger, garlic, and lime leaves for about 10 seconds, or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Set aside.
- ---To make the stir-fry---.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet over high heat, heat the olive oil and sauté all of the ingredients except the noodles for 1 minute, tossing frequently.
- Add the noodles and cook 1 minute.
- Set aside.
- ---To serve---.
- Slice the steak into 1-inch to 2-inch strips.
- Divide the salad greens among 4 salad plates.
- Divide the stir-fry sprout mixture over the greens, and then top with beef strips.
- Drizzle vinaigrette around the salads and garnish with macadamia nuts.
This was incredible!! There's nothing more to say except, "Wow!"
I only had some of the required ingredients, and not very much time, when I made this. I made the marinade and vinegrette as written and served it over a mixed greens and vegetable salad. It was delicious! I could have doubled the dressing and been quite happy.