Recipe by Kevin Young
Very simple but delicious Thai salad. Great for a summer dinner or lunch. Slightly modified from a recipe in "Main Course Classics" by Jenni Fleetwood which is a great cookbook.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
This was delicious! Shiitake mushroomes are difficult to get here, so I used button mushrooms, but that didn't affect the taste, I suppose. This clearly will be a keeper! Thanks for posting.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef tenderloin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 sweet onion (sliced thin)
- 2 small red chilies (slivered)
- 3 1⁄2 cups shiitake mushrooms (sliced thin)
- 4 chopped scallions
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 head romaine lettuce (cut into 1 inch strips)
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced thin
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the steak into 1 inch pieces about 1/4 inch thick.
- Broil steak on each side 3-4 minutes (depending on how well you like your steak done).
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan.
- Add onions, chillies and mushrooms to frying pan and cook about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add beef, stirring to cover beef with mushroom mixture.
- Stir together scallions, garlic, lime juice, fish and oyster sauce, brown sugar, chili saucecilantro and sesame seeds.
- Add this mixture to the beef and mushrooms.
- Toss the lettuce and cucumbers together, place on plates then spoon warm steak mixture over the lettuce and serve.