1/2 Photos of Spicy Texas Cucuzza-Pepper Relish
1 hr 30 mins
Kim D.'s Note:
I came up with this recipe to use up the number of cucuzzas I have growing in my garden. This spicy condiment is perfect on hot dogs or hamburgers. The relish can also be poured over a block of cream cheese and served as a dip with chips or crackers.
My Private Note
8 oz. j ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs cucuzza, peeled and seeded
- 1 large yellow onion (I use Texas 1015)
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded
- 2 large jalapenos, seeded
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 dried Thai chiles
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1Finely chop cucuzza, onion, bell peppers and jalapeños. (This can be a time consuming step, so I use my Pampered Chef food chopper).
- 2Place cucuzza, onions, bell peppers and jalapeños in a large mixing bowl.
- 3Sprinkle pickling salt over cucuzza mixture and stir well to combine.
- 4Let cucuzza mixture sit on the counter at room temperature for 1 hour.
- 5Thoroughly rinse cucuzza mixture in a strainer under cold running water.
- 6Use a wooden spoon to press the veggies against the side of the strainer to drain as much water as you can.
- 7Place drained cucuzza mixture in a clean bowl.
- 8Let sit on the counter for an additional 15 minutes, then drain again to remove excess water.
- 9In a large stockpot, combine vinegar, sugar, Thai peppers, celery seeds, cayenne pepper, turmeric and black pepper.
- 10Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 11Reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 12Remove Thai peppers from pot and discard.
- 13Add chopped cucuzza mixture to the stockpot.
- 14Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- 15In a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch; mix to dissolve.
- 16Pour cornstarch mixture into stockpot and cook for 5 minutes.
- 17Pour into sterilized canning jars and process in a water bath for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Texas Cucuzza-Pepper Relish
Serving Size: 1 (2302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.4
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4726.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 70.2 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Thai chiles