Recipe by True Texas
From Cooks.com recipe website. Note: don't be afraid to use the black pepper, makes them delicious. Don't remember how many dozen it really makes.
Top Review by Bogey'sMom
I rolled these into balls, flattened slightly and baked instead of cutting them into shapes. Then I frosted them per the recipe and just put three red hots on top. They are so, so good. The red hots makes them Christmas tray pretty.
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- red cinnamon candies (hearts)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add ginger, cinnamon, cloves and pepper to butter, cream well.
- Gradually blend in sugar. Beat in egg.
- Sift flour with baking powder and stir into butter mixture, mix well.
- Refrigerate until stiff enough to handle (several hours or overnight).
- Roll out on floured board to 1/8" thickness. Cut with texas-shape cookie cutter dipped in flour.
- Place on baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool.
- Add 2 to 3 Tablespoons water to 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar. Mix until smooth and spredable. Frost cookies. Place red cinnamon heart where you live in Texas.